Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Rosh Hashanah Craft - Quilted Cards

This year, I'm going to try to design Waldorf-style crafts for each Jewish holiday and post tutorials/instructions here. I'm a bit late already, but I think once the year gets going, I'll be able to stay on schedule. With the move and getting unpacked, I didn't have much time for planning.

For our Rosh Hashanah craft, I managed to turn quilting into Rosh Hashanah prep :)

I'm making quilted fabric cards using a log cabin block as the pattern. The basic pattern is shown here, with a center square with an apple and four rectangles around the center:
DSC_0001

Here's a finished card:
8/30/2010

Much of this can be done by a very young child and all by a slightly older child. Yoav (almost 6yo) did most of one himself - he chose the fabrics, I cut everything and then marked with vanishing fabric marker where he should sew and he sewed the rectangles on. A child of his age could also sew the felt apple on and could write or embroider the letters and sew the block to an index card using running stitch.

OK, on to the tutorial...

The first step is to collect fabric. You need:
8/31/2010
Center fabric: Cut 2.5" x 4.5"
Bottom rectangle (labeled '1' on the pattern): Cut 1.25" x 4.5"
Left rectangle (labeled '2' on the pattern): Cut 3.25" x 1.25"
Top rectangle (labeled '3' on the pattern): Cut 1.25" x 5.25"
Right rectangle (labeled '4' on the pattern): Cut 4" x 1.25"
Small square of red felt for center apple (or you could do a pomegranate or other Rosh Hashanah theme)

Make a template of of apple (or other Rosh Hashana theme). I used this apple pattern. Use the template to cut felt to size. Attach to center square with mattress stitch. Add green straight stitch for the apple tip.

Alternatively, you could use fabric and applique onto the center fabric by using zigzag stitch of small width and medium length along the edges. The tip can also be made with a tight zigzag with the width slowly increasing.

In the photo, the appliqued apple is at the top, felt apple below. I like the felt one much better and it was also easier and something I could do as my daily handwork while the kids were playing:
8/31/2010

Next you can begin sewing the outer pieces. The log cabin layout is really fun to do and beautiful in it's perfection and simplicity - I love how all the pieces go together so perfectly. First sew the bottom rectangle (labeled as '1') to the bottom of the center piece - sew right sides together and you don't have to secure the beginning and end, since you'll sew other pieces over both ends.
8/31/2010

Next sew the remaining rectangles to the center square. Again, right sides together and you don't have to secure ends. Left rectangle ('2') is next, sewn to the left edge of the center square; then top rectangle ('3') to the top of the center square and finally sew the right rectangle ('4') to the right side of the center square.

8/31/2010

8/31/2010

8/31/2010

Write 'Shana Tova' in red permanent marker (I used fine). You could also embroider this. I put my design card under the fabric to help me position the letters.

8/31/2010

Next, square up the block (trim edges to make straight). Then add a 4"x6" unlined index card behind the fabric and use zigzag stitch (or any stitch you like) to attach to the card. I recommend a walking foot for this if you have one - it's a bit hard to position and keep steady with a regular foot. You could also baste with a bit of glue or pin well first.
8/31/2010

Finally, trim ends to straighten sides and glue a second index card to the back to hide the stitches. Also, this way, the back can be peeled off next year and the card can be reused. Or the card can be set on a shelf as a Rosh Hashanah decoration.

Here's a few of my finished cards:
8/31/2010

This same design can be used for birthday cards. You can also add ribbon and more embroidery to the central square to make it fancier for a birthday, anniversary, wedding or any other card! This is a great platform for a useful craft for a child's embroidery.

7 comments:

  1. Those are so nice and a simple project for all ages.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I look forward to all things Waldorf-inspired and Jewish from you! :-) I was not born Jewish, but I've been learning lately, and so far, everything I read and learn really SPEAKS to me ... I already feel it, live it and believe it ... Just a learning process now. I'd be interested in any book recommendations you may have ... a GOOD Jewish Children's Torah/Tanakh/Bible ... a GOOD Hebrew/English Bible for ME ... I'd like to learn Hebrew or at least teach my daughter the Hebrew Alphabet this year, so if you could help with that, that would be a blessing. Enjoy your first grade year (I saw your schedule on WaldorfHomeEducators group).

    Many blessings to you and your family! Live in the LIGHT always.
    Melissa

    www.irienarrowpath.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily,

    These are simply adorable! I just linked to your project from my site... hope that's okay!

    You can see it here:

    http://www.allfreeholidaycrafts.com/Rosh-Hashanah/Quilted-Rosh-Hashanah-Cards

    Please let me know if it's okay with you if I link to your projects like this in the future. I'd love to feature more of your stuff!

    Thanks!
    Rachel @ AllFreeHolidayCrafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel,

    Aw that's so cool! I love what you wrote - thanks so much for the kind words! And of course, I'd be thrilled for you to link to more ;). We're starting First grade in the Fall and I'm hoping to be more organized about my holiday gifting...

    xo
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa,

    I hope you saw the thread on Mrs. M's group. There were some good book ideas there. I don't have a great Children's Torah book suggestion - we use the Artscroll Children's Parsha, but I'm not very happy with it - the stories are very basic and the pictures are terrible :) I often get the weekly Parsha from Chabad.org and tell it, which is probably better from a Waldorf perspective anyway. Check out artscroll.com - you can see inside most of the books to find something that inspires you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily ... thanks so much for that list! I HAVE been following the thread on there! This is great.

    May I ask how you guys ended up in Israel? Did your husband get a job or did you move there for religious reasons? How do you like it? I'd love to visit one day! I've never been.

    Many blessings,
    Melissa

    www.irienarrowpath.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Emily,

    I'm Jessica Nichols, and I'm the editor of FaveQuilts.com. I just wanted to let you know that I featured this project on FaveQuilts.com. You can see it here: http://www.favequilts.com/Holiday-Quilting/Quilted-Cards-for-Rosh-Hashanah/. I just wanted to check with you to see if this is alright. If you could e-mail me at jnichols@primecp.com to let me know, that would be great!

    Thanks!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete